Sunday, August 21, 2016

Sometimes I preach: On Covenants and Tea Kettles (8/21/16)

So here we are. The night before Jesus is handed over. The final night with his disciples. We have worked through Jesus’s birth, his childhood, his baptism and temptation, his miracles, his teachings and here we are, the last night.

If you go to Jerusalem, you can visit the the Upper Room. And I’ve actually been there. But I’ll be honest with you. I don’t really remember it that well,  because I was really really hungry because we had been fasting all day and I knew all we had to do was get through this last stop and then we were going to get to break our fast with communion. And so I was pretty preoccupied thinking about the snacks that were waiting for us back on the bus. And the room itself was pretty standard, mostly stone and columns and so when I try to picture the Upper Room, I mostly just picture being hungry.

There is probably a deep theological point to be made there and maybe in a different sermon one day you’ll hear that but for right now , but again, going with the honesty theme, it was not a spiritual hunger. It was regular old “come on guys let’s keep moving, the snacks are waiting” kind of hunger.

Maybe the disciples were too and maybe they were distracted when Jesus was breaking the bread. Maybe they were just really ready for the meal to be done, for church to be over so they could go home, or I mean, for Passover to be over so they could go to bed. Maybe they skipped over hearing the words: this is the blood of the new covenant, poured out for you.

Listen to the rest here: http://ssumc.org/visitors/recent-sermons/

0 comments:

Post a Comment