Monday, August 26, 2013

That day we redid our counter tops


So when we bought our house, I fell in love with the kitchen. Even though the appliances were old and even though the countertops were painted a weird sea foam color. I loved how open it was, how bright. I loved the lazy susan in the cabinet by the stove. I loved the pantry and the little window over the sink.

However, we quickly decided that those blue counter tops needed to go. Hopefully before we moved in. We didn't want to buy all new counter tops, so I researched ways to repaint them.

(this is the before picture)




I stumbled across this tutorial and the layout of the kitchen looked exactly like mine.

In that tutorial, they used Giani's Granite paint in Sicilian Sand and after reading about a thousand more internet reviews and tutorials, I decided that we could do that too. The kit costs about $70 and it comes with everything you need, including a very detailed instruction video (that again I watched about a dozen times)

First, we needed to tape off all the cabinets and move out the stove.


Then after a very thorough cleaning, we begin to paint on the base coat


After letting that dry overnight, we began the stressful part, actually applying the mineral paint. 


I mostly let Guy handle that part (I was too nervous and he's got way more skills) 

After the mineral coats (which are three different kinds of paints) were dry (after about 4 hours) we applied the top coat. Each top coat took 4 hours to dry and we did two coats. 

The final result:

I'm pretty pleased over all. When Guy's parents came over, they did not realize that it was painted and they thought we had marble counter tops. 

Here's a closer look:

I'm glad that we decided to this before moved in. It would certainly be much more of a hassle if you had to move all of your stuff out first, but even if you had to, the whole thing took us one weekend. And for $70, its certainly a lot cheaper than getting a whole new counter top. It was our first real adventure as grown-up homeowners and I'm really happy with how the whole thing turned out. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment